Wednesday, December 20, 2006

(N)Ice Fall...

Another weekend has set upon me, and with it a couple more days have vanished from my so called "countdown to extinction". I ended up visiting Boston though.

Since the late night thanksgiving excursion to NYC, watching people skate their heart out in the ice skating rink at Bryant Park, I was itching for my own first bout with ice and my wish was to be fulfilled this time. I reached the "Frog Pond" after a rather loooong walk in the Boston downtown. I have no idea why the skating rinks are called ponds here, and further clueless about the frog part in this one. Whatever the case , may the frogs rest in their frozen graves in the pond!! Well there I was ,about to enter the skating area, with a zilch of an idea about ice skating in particular and any other forms of skating in general. Though as a by stander it didn't look like some rocket science.In fact it looked fairly easy, and pretttty cool, people doing all sorts of antics to top it all. But the moment I stepped on the ice, it was pretty clear to me that I may not be able to do this ....ever. Hanging to my dear life which in this case was the fence surrounding the pond, I succeeded in making a complete ass out of myself to start with. But then as I started getting the laps under my belt , it dawned upon me that may be at some point in time even I might be able to do it. The dead frogs must surely have had a laugh riot in their graves watching my antics over their heads for those 3 hours. But in the end when I finally got out of my skating boots all blue and black, I was really thrilled by the experience, it was like learning to walk all over again. Although I am really not sure of my own reactions when I first learned to walk ages ago, alas I was too young to remember.

My tryst with snow and ice is gonna continue this weekend too when I hit the real thing. I am going skiing for the Christmas break. Wish me so that I may return victorious , conquering the Pocono Mountains.

No comments: